Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Soccer Star

Luke was invited to play outside at a friend’s house yesterday. He was super pumped because he was told they have huge soccer goals in their backyard. As he came running downstairs, it was impossible not to notice his clothing-- orange athletic pants with a SHORT-sleeved, bright blue YMCA soccer jersey from two years ago. I tried explaining that long sleeves would be best since it was chilly outside, but he was adamant about wearing his soccer shirt. I certainly didn't want to "rock the boat" because Luke doesn't usually act overly interested in playing soccer or any sport for that matter. He is definitely our free-spirited, think outside the box, creative play kiddo. Despite all of that, I decided to go with the flow and followed my enthusiastic, inappropriately dressed, future super star out the door. Oh, and you better believe we "soccer talked" the entire drive. He could hardly wait to play some soccer!

You probably see where this is going.... My 4 yr. old free spirit DID kick around the soccer ball a bit & was proud to "score" a few goals, but what thrilled him the most were a few other "on the sideline" activities. I am documenting the following to share with him someday. They involve life’s important lessons.

1. Bugs Life Reenactment - this activity involved taking a long, black telescope (ie baseball T) and running back and forth from an imaginary ant hill to the top of the "fort" for telescope viewing & then hurrying back to the ant hill. If you are confused by this activity, then maybe I should guide you to the movie "A Bugs Life". If you recall it is about a misfit ant who is looking for warriors to save his colony from grasshoppers. Soccer star? Maybe not. Movie star? Absolutely!
2. The TED BAND - The TED BAND made an appearance in the backyard. They even asked for applause and took bows at the end of their performance. The TED BAND can really make some cool sounds with their dump truck drums, watering can guitars, shovel cymbals and bicycle bells. Yes, Luke had many toys lined up and ready to perform (demanding an applause at the end). If you would like to book the "TED BAND", just let me know. It certainly makes for an interesting sound. Soccer star? Maybe not. Rock star.... of course!

So yes, we did play a BIT of soccer yesterday, but the entertainment went far beyond the soccer fields.

One lesson learned: The next time you see a watering can, stop and play the guitar.

3 comments:

momof4dragons said...

I love the new layout! It looks great...and I love that you've documented your fun soccer outing so that he can giggle about it some day. It's amazing how many funny, little things I've already forgotten about.

Kristin said...

claudia,

where is your blog?? you need one... cuz i want to see your munchkins. :)

love ya,
k

Deb said...

Great stories! And Cade is adorable in his cereal adventure. Love the new look.